Town Mayor demands release of NPA kidnapped victims

Bancasi, Butuan City – The Town Mayor of Lanuza, Surigao del Sur demanded the release of the remaining kidnapped victim of the CPP-NPA Terrorist (CNT) in an Official Statement released last 01 June 2019.

Hon Salvacion S Azarcon, the Town Mayor of Lanuza, Surigao del Sur released a statement highlighting the CNTs latest atrocity in connection with the kidnapping of seven (7) civilians last May 30, 2019 at around 10:00am at the boundary of Tandag and Lanuza of same province. She said, “As the Mayor of this municipality, I am furiously condemning this act of terrorism of the NPAs with no respect to the Human Rights and International Humanitarian Law”.

She laments that the Lanuzanons are disheartened by the heartless incident especially victimizing minors citing the NPAs clear violation under the RA 7610 “Stronger Deterrence and Special Protection against Child Abuse, Exploitation and Discrimination, and for other Purposes”. Similarly, she exhorted all his constituents to look after each other’s back to ensure the safety of the community.

Mayor Azarcon demanded to the CPP-NPA Terrorists to release the kidnapped victims and let the people of Sitio Ibuan to live in peace. “Let us collaborate and combine our efforts to show the CNTs that we are not afraid to condemn any inhuman activities perpetrated by them. We must deny this group of any kind of support to their terroristic undertakings and disillusioned cause”.

It can be recalled that last year, the CNTs murdered Nestor H Trinidad, a Lumad leader belonging to the Mamanwa tribe in Sibahay, Lanuza and a staunch protector and advocate in advancing the genuine interest of the IPs against NPA exploitation and abuses. The CNTs also kidnapped Datu Eusebio Meniano, a Municipal Tribal Leader in the neighboring town of Carmen and was released in exchange for food.

Furthermore, the mayor also encouraged the rank and file members of the CPP-NPA that they should not be fooled and deceived by their commanders and instead lay down their arms and return to the folds of the law. She reechoed the call of the AFP for them to avail the various programs of the government such as the E-CLIP to provide livelihood and other benefits for their reintegration back to the mainstream
society.

“In his statement, Col Maurito L Licudine, 402nd Brigade Commander, said “We stand with the people of Lanuza in this incident. We duly recognize the brave stand of Mayor Azarcon and we commit to stand-by with her in her efforts to assist the families as we also relentlessly pursue the safe return of the kidnapped victim”.

“This kidnapping by the CNTs is plain terrorism. They will use veiled threat and intimidation to force support from the masses. We must get our acts together to defeat this evil doings of the CNTs. We reiterate our call to the CNTs to stop harassing innocent civilians and instead work with us for peace and development. It is not too late for them to surrender and join the mainstream of society and be a productive citizen. The E-CLIP is in place for CNTs to avail if they decide to abandon the armed struggle and lay down their arms”, Col Licudine ended.