CAMP LAPULAPU, Cebu City— Denis Paradero Rodinas, one of the most wanted
NPA terrorists in Mindanao, who have been the mastermind in major NPA atrocities including the brutal killing of Mayor Dario Otaza of Loreto, Agusan del Sur and his son Daryl in Butuan City, died during the joint AFP-PNP law enforcement operation at around 10:00 o’clock last night, 11 October 2020.
By virtue of five warrants of arrest issued at Branch 3, Regional Trial Court, 11th Judicial Region and were transferred to Branch 56, RTC in Compostella, Davao de Oro for murder, terroristic acts and other heinous crimes, authorities were able to serve all of these to Rodinas and his companion, Gerlie Mercado aka Tamsi/Sol, also a top NPA terrorist under Southern Mindanao Regional Committee, at their hideout in Brgy Pong-ol Sibugay, Cebu City. During the procedure, Rodinas died after he fought back against the arresting officers while Mercado is with the custody of the arresting PNP and jailed at the Regional PNP station. Recovered are the following: one (1) KIA RIO Sedan color silver gray with plate number ABN 2146; one (1) 45 Cal Pistol; three (3) units nokia phone(white, black, orange); one (1) Huawei cellphone (blue); one (1) Huawei cellphone (black); one (1) Samsung duos; one (1) Oppo (blue); one (1) nokia (keypad) black; one (1) samsung (keypad) white; one (1) my phone (keypad) – Equilibrium ID in the name of Denver Juentes, and one (1) ID certificate of employment.
“We thank the villagers who tipped-off the location of Rodinas. We were able to plan out and implement all measures that will ensure the swift arrest as well as the safety of the people nearby during the operation. However, he died after being hostile to the arresting officers.
The same with the recent arrest of Junifie Dagale in Bohol, top NPA who is wanted for crimes in Mindano, Central Visayas is not a safe place for these terrorists to hide,” Col Jerry Borja, Commander, Task Force, Cebu, Bohol, and Siquijor (TF-CBS), Philippine Army.
Looking back, Mayor Otaza and his son Daryl were among the victims of NPA
Lumad Killings in Mindanao. They were abducted and brutally murdered by the
NPAs who disguised as NBI agents in Butuan City last October 20, 2015.
Mayor Otaza aka “Datu Malampuson” belongs to the Manobo Tribe. He joined the NPA in 1978 and surrendered to the government in 1985. His firm stance against the NPA organization was able to convince 246 rebels to surrender to his town in Loreto, Agusan del Sur.
“It has been said before that the long arm of the law will soon reach this fugitive and it finally happened. Mayor Otaza and his son Daryl as well as all other victims of his atrocities can be at peace now. We congratulate the strong resolve of all the AFP and PNP who are involved in years of hard work and sacrifice just to give justice to all the victims of Rodinas’ crimes. We will continue this momentum until the last NPA shall decide to put an end on their atrocities,” Said Lt Gen Roberto T Ancan, Commander, Central Command, Armed Forces of the Philippines.
“This operation is also dedicated to our soldiers and policemen, who died during the years of chase to Rodinas in NPA lairs in Mindanao.” Lt Gen Ancan added.
OTHER CRIMES committed by Rodinas are the following:
- On 27 May and 15 June, 2009, @JASSI murdered a certain CAA Arnold Sacares at Brgy Simata, Molave, Zamboanga Del Sur and CAA Ernesto Gumilid at Brgy Penacio, Clarin, Misamis Occidental Province.
- Sometime in 2011, involved in the burning of heavy equipment of Red Mountain (PHILSAGA Mining Corporation) in Agusan Del Sur.
- Sometime in 2011, involved in gathering information and planning that led to the raid of amilitary Patrol Base in Brgy Kanidkid, Montevista, Davao de Oro.
- On 23 December 2013, @JASSI and RSOG, ROC, SMRC personalities planned and initiated the abduction of Mr. Jose Mervin Coquilla, Jail Warden – Compostella Valley Province. The NPA will use him to bargain with Elizalde Cañete, top NPA leader imprisoned in Tagum City Jail, Surigao del Sur.
- On 14 April 2015, @JASSI was involved in the raid of the mining compound owned by then Mayor JB Brillantes carting away several HPFAs, ammunitions and explosives.
- On 09 April 2017, involved in the disarming of barangay security forces at Brgy Mahongkog, Arakan, NC.
- On 29 April 2017, simultaneously attacked the LAPANDAY Plant in Brgy Mandug, Buhangin Dist, DC; MACONDRAY Plant in Brgy Tagpore, Panabo City and Lorenzo Farm in Brgy Pangyan, Calinan Dist, DC. Said properties were all owned by LORENZO Group of Companies. Estimated damage to properties could reach 2 Billion Pesos.
- On 18 July 2017, planned and ordered the ambuscades against the security personnel of Presidential Security Group (PSG) at the boundary of Arakan, NC and Brgy Marahan, Marilog Dist, Davao City.
- On 31 March 2018, ordered the burning of heavy equipment owned by Ulti.